Wills, Probate & Lasting Powers of Attorney
• Lasting power of attorney
• Enduring power of attorney
• Court of Protection
Our Wills, Probate & LPA Team
Request a callback
Leave us a few details and we will call you back.
Probate Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
We anticipate this will take between 10 and 20 hours work at a rate of £200.00 – £350.00 + VAT per hour. Total costs estimated at £2,000.00 – £6,000.00 +VAT.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter and the hourly rate of the fee earner required to handle your case. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
In addition to charging on a time costed basis, 1% of the gross value of the estate will be charged in all probate matters. If the estate includes real property (i.e. a house), a reduced fee of 0.5% will be charged on the value of that property. We will handle the full process for you.
This estimate is for estates where:
• There is a valid will
• There is no more than one property
• There are no more than 2 bank or building society accounts
• There are no other intangible assets
• There are 2-4 beneficiaries
• There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
• There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
• There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements not included in this fee:
• Probate application fee of £155.00
• Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2.00 per beneficiary)
• £119.88 Post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential additional costs
• If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
• If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost 50p (1 per asset usually).
• Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 6-12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 12-22 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 12-22 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 2-8 weeks.